TUESDAY: 6 December 2022. Afternoon Paper. Time Allowed: 2 hours.
Answer ALL questions by indicating the letter (A, B, C, or D) that represents the correct answer. This paper is made up of (50) multiple choice questions. Each question is allocated two (2) marks.
1. Which one of the following is NOT a component of the DataBase Management System (DBMS)?
C. Data Mart
D. Application (2 marks)
2. Choose the data integration approach, that is the MOST suitable for streaming data in real time as used in data warehousing
D. ABI (2 marks)
3. What is the name given to a query containing another query in structured query language (SQL)?
A. Inner query
B. Outer query
C. Nested query
D. In-memory query (2 marks)
4. Data quality is essential to the success of a data warehouse. Which of the following information quality factor refers to “the degree to which information matches the reality”?
D. Completeness (2 marks)
5. Data can be distinguished by the degree of organisation between elements. Which of the following is an example of semi-structured data structure?
A. A database
B. XML data
C. Audio data
D. Spreadsheet data (2 marks)
6. Choose the CORRECT statement from the list of data management statements below.
A. OLTP is characterised by operational processing
B. OLTP access is mostly read only
C. OLAP view is summarized and consolidated
D. OLAP unit of work is simple transactions (2 marks)
7. Chooses from the list below the statement that BEST describes an algorithm that allows a transaction to continue processing, when serializability could be compromised, in believe that it probably won’t be in transaction management.
D. Brute-force (2 marks)
8. To efficiently retrieve records from the database file, indexing is fundamental. Which of the following is a type of ordered indexing?
A. Primary index
B. Clustering index
C. Secondary index
D. Sparse index (2 marks)
9. Which tier of the DBMS architecture is BEST described by the statement: “All the components of DBMS reside on the same machine”?
A. Three tier
B. One tier
C. Two tier
D. Agglomerated Tier (2 marks)
10. Which of the following terms represents the special value used to represent values that are unknown or non-applicable to certain attributes in database design?
D. ZERO (2 marks)
11. Which of the following is a disadvantage of normalization process as used in database management systems?
A. Removes data redundancy in the database
B. It leads to more tables in the database
C. It solves the insert, delete and update anomalies
D. It makes data to lose its integrity (2 marks)
12. Select from the list below the person in-charge of establishing schema for the database by interacting with the users to understand data structure requirements?
A. Data manager
B. Database administrator
C. Database developer
D. Database designer (2 marks)
13. Select the CORRECT SQL statement that finds the student whose lastname has an “in” character in it.
A. SELECT Students FROM lastname WHERE lastname LIKE ‘%in%’
B. SELECT lastname FROM Students WHERE lastname LIKE ‘%in%’
C. SELECT lastname FROM Students WHERE lastname LIKE ‘*in*’
D. SELECT Students FROM lastname WHERE lastname LIKE ‘*in%’ (2 marks)
14. Which of the following is NOT an action done at the data modeling level?
A. Creating relationships between entities
B. Determining the attributes of entities
C. Determining the cardinalities of relationships
D. Data access and programming (2 marks)
15. What is the name given to a database constraint that requires a foreign key to have a matching primary key or must be null?
A. Domain integrity
B. Entity integrity
C. Referential integrity
D. Enterprise constraint (2 marks)
16. What is the name given to the activity of choosing an efficient strategy for retrieving data from the database?
A. Query processing
B. Query optimisation
C. Query parsing
D. Algorithmic processing (2 marks)
17. Which of the following statements is NOT true as used in data management systems?
A. Creation of virtual database to consolidate data from disparate source is called data federation
B. Combination of data from multiple system to create a single decentralized data source for analytics is called data consolidation
C. Copying data from one location to another on an event-driven basis is called data propagation
D. Data integration that involves using common storage area, to clean, format and store data is called a database (2 marks)
18. Which of the following is NOT a major challenge of data management in the era of big data?
A. Lack of skilled personnel
B. Lack of data
C. Data Security
D. Handling huge amount of data (2 marks)
19. The addition of redundant data into one or more tables of a database, to optimize and speed up data retrieval is called?
D. De-normalisation (2 marks)
20. Database constraints ensure that rules defined at data model creation are enforced when the data is manipulated.
Which of the following is NOT a database constraint?
D. Unique (2 marks)
21. The most popular query language used by major relational database management systems is the Structured Query Language (SQL). Name the default keyword used by “order by” command when the sorting method is not defined explicitly.
A. Sort by
C. Order by
D. DESC (2 marks)
22. Which of the following statements is NOT true about data model as used in database systems?
A. A data model is set of concepts used to describe the structure a database
B. Conceptual data models provides concepts close to the way users perceive data
C. The data models can change frequently
D. Data models can be categorized by the number of users (2 marks)
23. Concurrent access of a database by transactions at the same time can have a far reaching impact, which can lead to the following problems EXCEPT?
A. The inconsistent analysis problem
B. The lost update problem
C. The uncommitted dependency problem
D. The data Update problem (2 marks)
24. What is the most basic component of a file in a file system?
A. Data item
C. Operating System
D. Kernel (2 marks)
25. Choose the name given to the operation in relational database that is used to display some attributes in a database table.
D. Join (2 marks)
26. Identify the type of functional dependency shown below as used in relational database design.
D. Reflexivity (2 marks)
27. Your organisation database is storing approximately 1000 employees’ records in the registry table. You are interested in getting a report on the available departments in your organisation. However, it displays repeating departments. Which SQL keyword would be used alongside the SELECT command to avoid this repetition?
D. DISTINCT (2 marks)
28. The DBMS systems must provide facilities that assist in recovery from failures. Which of the following DBMS facility, enables updates to database in case of database failure?
A. Backup mechanism
B. Logging facility
C. Checkpoint facility
D. Recovery manager (2 marks)
29. Which of the following formal and informal relational database terms do NOT correctly match?
D. Character-Relation (2 marks)
30. Which of the following is a data integrity question used to understand the user need during database design?
A. What should the system do?
B. What values are allowed in which field?
C. How disastrous will it be if the system clashes?
D. Do users need access to different pieces of data? (2 marks)
31. The lowest level of abstraction that describes what data are stored in a database is known as?
D. Kernel (2 marks)
32. Which of the following types of file organisation mechanism does the operating system allocate memory area without ordering the records?
D. Clustered (2 marks)
33. Name the tool that enables an application programmer to construct forms and reports without writing a program in database system development.
A. Rapid Application Development
B. Report generators
D. Design (2 marks)
34. The set of agreed upon shapes, symbols, and notations that would be used to graphically depict each component that makes up a software system, its attributes and how it relates to other components within the system established by the Object Management Group (OMG) is known as?
D. CODASYL (2 marks)
35. A data model is the underlying structure of the database. Which data model uses connections among the nodes allowing a record to have more than one parent?
C. Object oriented
D. Entity-Relational model (2 marks)
36. Which of the following is TRUE about data visualisation as used in data mining and business intelligence?
A. It involves designing the schema for data warehouses
B. Facilitate faster access to data across the entire organisation
C. It is performed by data architects and modelers
D. It involves the use of graphs, charts, and tables to present data visually (2 marks)
37. Security of the data is very crucial in a database environment. Which of the following is NOT a database security threat?
A. Accidental disclosure
B. Unauthorised disclosure
C. Insertion anomaly
D. Destruction (2 marks)
38. What name, is given to the type of attribute that contain values calculated from other attributes as used in an entity relationship model?
D. Simple (2 marks)
39. In database systems, file operations are classified into retrieval or update operations. Which of the following is an activity of the retrieve operation?
D. Modify (2 marks)
40. What SQL keyword, ensures that the value in a column meets a specific condition?
A. Not Null
D. Constraint (2 marks)
41. Choose the language used for storing, transferring and retrieving hierarchical data as used in database systems
D. XML (2 marks)
42. The database aspect, where different parts of the database do not hold contradictory views for the same information is known as?
D. Integrity (2 marks)
43. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of First Normal Form (1NF) as used in database normalisation?
A. Each attribute must have a unique name
B. The order of tuples and attributes matters
C. Two tuples cannot contain identical values
D. Each attribute must have one data type (2 marks)
44. Professional advice from the database record, showing who made the modification, and whether authorised or not, heavily rely on a record in database system known as?
A. Audit trails
C. Turnkey record
D. Dirty page (2 marks)
45. Which of the following refer to a set of commands that automatically get executed when an event like insert, update or delete of row occurs in a table?
A. Stored procedure
B. SQL commands
C. Database trigger
D. Query optimisation (2 marks)
46. Which of the following SQL commands is misplaced in the list below?
D. Alter (2 marks)
47. The broad category of applications and technologies for gathering, storing, analyzing and providing access to data to help enterprise users make better business decisions is known as?
A. Data management
B. Data mining
C. Business Intelligence
D. Automated management (2 marks)
48. Which of the following capability is given to the native users in database system?
A. Account creation
B. Interaction with the database
C. Security level assignment
D. Database object rights revocation (2 marks)
49. Which of the following is the correct characteristic of a closed system?
A. They have an interaction with the environment
B. It has input from the environment
C. It is flexible in nature
D. They are rigid in nature (2 marks)
50. Which of the following is a description of metadata as used in database design?
A. The student’s name is Khandesi
B. The student’s name cannot be blank
C. The student’s age is 21
D. The student’s height is 5 feet (2 marks)