TUESDAY: 6 December 2022. Morning Paper. Time Allowed: 2 hours.
Answer ALL questions by indicating the letter (A, B, C or D) that represents the correct answer. This paper is made up of fifty (50) Multiple Choice Questions. Each question is allocated two (2) marks.
1. Which of the following statement defines e-business?
A. The use of technology to work and empower business people
B. The use of information technology to work and empower business processes
C. The use of information technology to work and empower business processes, electronic commerce, and enterprise collaboration
D. The use of technology to empower people
2. As a prospective manager, business professional, and knowledge worker, you will be challenged by many responsibilities generated by the use of information technology. Which of the following represents using business analytics, data mining, data visualization, and data tools to help organisations make better data-driven decisions?
C. Business intelligence
D. Human resource management
3. Which of the following would be considered as a combination of software and hardware resources?
A. Microcomputer systems and midrange computer systems
B. Keyboards and electronic mice
C. Data media such as sheets of paper
D. Firmware in a computing device
4. System software resources would include all of the following EXCEPT:
A. Device drivers
B. Operating system program
5. Choose the choice with the FIVE basic resources of information systems?
A. Hardware, software, networks, the internet, and knowledge bases
B. Hardware, software, data, networks, and the internet
C. Hardware, software, data, networks, and people
D. Hardware, software, data, networks and security
6. The person who focuses on planning, policies, and procedures regarding the use of corporate data and information is known as:
A. Chief Information Officer
B. Systems analyst
C. Database administrator
D. System operator
7. Which of the following best describes internet of things (IoT)?
A. Network of physical objects embedded with sensors
B. Network of virtual objects
C. Network of objects in the ring structure
D. Network of sensors
8. Two or more participants may conspire to defraud another participant in a digital business transaction. This is known as________________________________.
A. Technology diffusion
B. Technology infusion
C. Technology collusion
D. Technology fusion
9. Which one of the following is NOT one of the FIVE basic competitive forces that shape the structure of competition in its industry?
A. Bargaining power of customers
B. Threat of new entrants
C. Threat of substitutes
D. Strategic dominance
10. Which of the following is one of the competitive strategies a company can use to counter competitive forces?
A. Rivalry of competition
C. Bargaining power of customers
D. Bargaining power of suppliers
11. The value chain concept was developed by Michael Porter, where a firm is viewed as a series, or chain, or network of basic activities that add value to its products and services and thus add a margin of value to the firm. One of the primary activities in a firm’s “value chain” typically includes:
A. Administrative services
B. Technology development
C. Human resource management
D. Marketing and sales
12. One of the most important implementations of competitive strategies is business process reengineering (BPR). Which of the following statements BEST describes BPR:
A. A customer’s perception of a customer-focused business that offers the best value
B. A fundamental rethinking and radical redesign of business processes to achieve dramatic improvements in cost, quality, speed, and service
C. Organisational operations and development
D. A customer’s perception that uses the Internet
13. When a company can make a profit in markets with broad production ranges and short model lifetimes and can produce orders individually in an arbitrary lot size, can be described as a(n):
A. Virtual company
B. Differentiated company
C. Agile company
D. Cost leader
14. When a company makes investments in IT to improve its operations or promote innovation, what can it erect so that it would discourage or delay competitors from entering a market.
A. Switching costs
C. Barriers to entry
D. Price control
15. In business ethics, the theory that states companies have ethical responsibilities to all members of society is known as:
A. Social contract theory
B. Stakeholder theory
C. Shareholder theory
D. No free lunch theory
16. The benefits and burdens of the technology should be distributed fairly. Which of the following term best describes this principles?
A. Informed consent
C. Minimised risk
17. According to the definition by the Association of Information Technology Professionals, computer crime includes the following EXCEPT:
A. Unauthorised release of information
B. Unauthorised copying of software
C. Using or conspiring to use computer or network resources to illegally obtain information or tangible property
D. Keeping confidential data safely
18. Which of the following statements best describes companies that have been faced with cyber theft:
A. Discover that a majority of the cases are inside jobs by current employees
B. Discover that a majority of the cases are outside jobs by external hackers and thieves
C. Readily report full details about the thefts to authorities to deter additional thefts from occurring
D. Recognise that customers and shareholders want to know full details and readily report them
19. Sniffer software can be used by hackers to assault companies through the Internet. This is accomplished by:
A. Faking an e-mail address or Web page to trick a company into passing along critical information
B. Searching individual packets of data as they pass through the Internet, capturing passwords or the entire contents
C. Dialing thousands of telephone numbers in search of a way in through a modem connection
D. Talking to unsuspecting company employees to get valuable information such as passwords
20. Unauthorised use of computer systems at work often involves the Internet. Which of the following is NOT an example of such Internet abuses?
A. Non-work-related download/upload
C. General e-mail abuses
D. Charting with a friend
21. Which of the following refers to a prominent attribute of management information procured through MIS of an organisation:
D. Exception based
22. What is the result of effective security management within an organisation?
A. Minimise errors, losses, and fraud
B. Eliminate general e-mail abuses
C. Eliminate all errors, fraud, and losses
D. Minimises internet abuse
23. Which of the following layer is NOT involved in accomplishing denial of service?
A. The victim’s website
B. The victim’s internet service provider
C. Internet cafes
D. The sites of “zombie” or slave computers that were commandeered by the cyber criminals
24. In the event of computer system failure, companies may use fault tolerant systems that have redundant processors, peripherals, and software that provide backup to keep a company going. Such a backup that provides a reduced but acceptable level of performance is referred to as ______________.
A. Fail-safe capability
B. Fail-soft capability
C. Limited-fail capability
D. Disaster recovery capability
25. Which one of the following is NOT a use of strategic information systems?
A. Increasing competition
B. Improving marketing by generating database
C. Locking customers and suppliers
D. Leveraging technology in the value chain
26. Which characteristic of strategic management does not make it different from other types of management?
B. External focus
C. Internal focus
D. Present direction of the organisation focus
27. Which of the following is TRUE about IoT devices?
A. May not use microcontrollers
B. Uses the internet to share data
C. IoT devices use wired technology
D. IoT devices are completely safe
28. A business planning process has THREE major components. Which of the following is NOT one of those components?
A. Strategy development
B. Technology architecture
D. Resource management
29. The IT architecture that is created by the business/IT planning process is a conceptual design, or blueprint that includes several components. The technology platform consists of which of the following?
A. The Internet, intranets, extranets, and other networks, computer systems, systems software, and integrated enterprise application software that provide a computing and communications infrastructure that supports the strategic use of IT for e-business, e-commerce, and other business/IT applications
B. The business applications of information technology that are designed to support the strategic business initiatives
C. The business applications of IT that are designed to support the customer valuation and business valuation functions of the company
D. The many types of databases including data warehouses and Internet/intranet databases
30. Senior management needs to be involved in critical business/IT decisions to optimise the business value and performance of the IT function. The statement “The business value of the system is never realised” is a consequence of which of the following decisions?
A. The quality of IT services really have to be?
B. The business processes to receive our IT dollars?
C. Whom to blame if an IT initiative fails?
D. Amount to spend on IT?
31. Which of the following best describes the current trend in global business and IT strategies. The trend is towards ?
A. Transnational strategy
B. Multinational strategy
C. International strategy
D. Global strategy
32. What does strategic Management of organisational resources try to achieve?
A. Financial needs
B. Goals and objectives
C. Competitive advantage
D. Market share
33. Strategic management in an organisation is MOSTLY geared towards?
A. Strategic analysis
B. The total organisation
C. Strategy formulation
D. Strategy implementation
34. In an information system, which one is NOT a technology driver for an information system?
A. Knowledge asset management
B. Networks and the Internet
C. Object technologies
D. Enterprise applications
35. Which one of the following is the organisations back bone in the 21st century?
36. Which one of the following is the main business driver in the era of information system?
A. Business process
B. Business partners
C. Knowledge asset management
D. Proliferation of networks and the Internet
37. Which of the following is a specific factor that is essential to the success of certain functional areas of an organisation?
A. Mission-critical factors
B. Critical success factors
C. Performance objectives
D. Strategic factors
38. Which of the following is a goal of management information system (MIS)?
A. Capture, process, and store transactions
B. Correlate multiple data points in order to strategise ways to improve operations
C. Reduce manual effort associated with processing business transactions
D. Produce standard reports used for management decision making
39. Below are ways in which IoT is making an impact on current business strategies EXCEPT?
A. Reduced data collection
B. Focusing on customer experience
C. Updating inventory management
D. Aiming for greater business efficiency
40. Due to caseload and budget constraints, often computer security professionals attempt to limit the damage and close each investigation as quickly as possible. Which of the following is NOT a significant drawback to this approach?
A. Each unreported incident robs attorneys and law enforcement personnel of an opportunity to learn about the basics of computer-related crime
B. Responsibility for incident resolution frequently does not reside with the security professional, but with management
C. This approach results in under-reporting of criminal activity, deflating statistics that are used to allocate corporate and government spending on combating computer-related crime
D. Computer security professionals develop loose evidence processing habits that can make it more difficult for law enforcement personnel and attorneys to prosecute an offender
41. The digital evidence is used to establish a credible link between?
A. Attacker, victim and the crime scene
B. Attacker and the crime scene
C. Victim and the crime scene
D. Attacker and information
42. Which of the following must a penetration tester must identify and keep in mind as the requirements of a firm while evaluating the security posture?
A. Hacking techniques
B. Rules and regulations
C. Privacy and security
D. Ethics to talk to seniors
43. What would be the legal risks of ethical hacking?
A. Stealing data
B. Disclosing data
C. Deleting data
44. Which of the following statements BEST describes Artificial intelligence?
A. Putting your intelligence into computer
B. Programming with your own intelligence
C. Ability of a machine perform tasks that require human intelligence
D. Putting more memory into computer
45. Which one of the following is NOT an example of a “small-scale embedded system”?
A. Electronic Barbie doll
B. Simple calculator
C. Cell phone
D. Electronic toy car
46. A protocol that enables you to log on to another computer and access its public files is called?
C. Content streaming
D. Instant messaging
47. What must information systems strategy address?
A. Selection of future applications for organisation
B. Information policy
C. Quality of service delivery
D. Delivery of value to business from applications portfolio
48. Choose the CORRECT statement about the use of decision support systems.
A. Only used in the choice phase of the problem-solving process
B. Applied to frequent, recurring problems
C. Applied to highly-structured problems
D. Assist decision makers at all levels within the organisation
49. What name is given to a strategy that attempts to push ICT products by encouraging existing customers to buy more of the firm’s solutions?
D. Product making
50. Which of the following about the value of information is the MOST important?
A. Accuracy and completeness
C. Simplicity and security
D. How it helps decision makers achieve organisational goals