MAASAI MARA UNIVERSITY
REGULAR UNIVERSITY EXAMINATIONS 2012/2013 ACADEMIC YEAR
THIRD YEAR SECOND SEMESTER
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
COURSE CODE: BHR 310
COURSE TITLE: PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT
DATE: 23RD APRIL 2014 TIME: 2.00-5.00 P.M.
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
Question ONE is compulsory
Answer any other THREE questions
1. (a)(i) Define the following terms
(i). Personnel management (2 marks)
(ii).Forecasting (2 marks)
(ii). Delegation (2 marks)
(b)(ii) Using short explanations identify at least five importance of Human resource planning in personnel management. (10 marks)
(c) Discuss the three factors or guidelines which a supervisor should consider to understand human relations. (6 marks)
(d) State three basic principles of supervision. (3 marks)
2. Performance evaluation is an important element of the control mechanism of most organization in human resource management.
(a) Explain four goals of appraisal. (8 marks)
(b) State three problems that can arise in a system of performance appraisal. (3 marks)
(c) Name four advantages of performance appraisal. (4 marks)
3. (a) Explain the term compensation in personnel management.
(b) Discuss the three components of an employee’s compensation. Give examples. (9 marks)
(c) Discuss the importance of recruitment in an organization. (4 marks)
4. Henry Fayol is renowned for having contributed towards the modern theory of human resource management.
(a) Explain at least four principles of management put forward by Fayol. (8 marks)
(b) (i) Apart from those you have explained above, identify four principles regarding performance reward. (4 marks)
(ii) Outline three principles of management put forward by Fredrick Taylor. (3 marks)
5. (a) Discuss why employers offer benefits to their employees. (6 marks)
(b) Explain the important implication of the employee retirement income. (6 marks)
(c) Identify the major types of health insurance options.(3 marks)