The main steps to be followed for proper job planning are:
1. Knowledge base: It includes knowledge about equipment, job, available techniques, materials and facilities.
2. Job investigation at site: It gives a clear perception of the total jobs.
3. Identify and document the work: Knowing the earlier two steps and knowing the needs of preventive, predictive and other maintenance jobs.
4. Development of repair plan: Preparation of step by step procedures which would accomplish the work with the most economical use of time, manpower and material.
5. Preparation tools and facilities list indicating the needs of special tools, tackles and facilities needed.
6. Estimation of time required to do the job with work measurement technique and critical path analysis.