TUESDAY: 6 December 2022. Morning Paper. Time Allowed: 3 hours.
Answer ALL questions. This paper has two sections. SECTION I has twenty (20) short response questions of forty (40) marks. SECTION II has three practical questions of sixty (60) marks. Marks allocated to each question are shown at the end of the question(s).
- A computer
- Simulator (Packet tracer/GNS 3)
1. Data transmission is the transfer of data from one digital device to another. Which mode of transmission allows data in both directions on a signal carrier, but not at the same time? (2 marks)
2. Which algorithm determines Discrete Fourier Transform of an input significantly faster than computing it directly? (2 marks)
3. Which of the following is a digital modulation scheme that conveys data by changing, or modulating, two different phases of the carrier wave. (2 marks)
4. What is the name given to an Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) configuration intended primarily for use in subscriber lines similar to those that have long been used for voice-grade telephone service? (2 marks)
5. Which encoding technique ensures the signal level is checked twice for every bit time, both initially and in the middle ensuring the clock has double transfer rate? (2 marks)
6. A hardware device that allows your computer to communicate with an Internet service provider over a landline connection by converting an analog signal to a digital signal for the purpose of granting access to broadband Internet is known as? (2 marks)
7. What is the name given to a value that represents the number of bits in a transmission message used by Information Technology (IT) professionals to detect high-level errors within data transmissions? (2 marks)
8. The network layer is the part of the Internet communications process where these connections occur, by sending packets of data back and forth between different networks. The largest frame or packet that can be transmitted across a data link is referred to as? (2 marks)
9. Open system Interconnection(OSI) Model is a conceptual framework used to describe the functions of a networking system. What is the name given to a layer responsible for taking an IP packet and preparing it for transmission over the communications medium? (2 marks)
10. What is the name given to data transmitted between network points as a unit complete with addressing and necessary protocol control information? (2 marks)
11. Fiber patch cords are required for interconnecting infrastructure devices. Which type of patch code is shown in the diagram below?
12. Optical fiber are mostly used for communication over short distances. The fiber that consists of a larger core that uses LED emitters to send light pulses at different angles is known as? (2 marks)
13. What is the name given to the number that identifies the logical circuit between the router and the frame relay switch? (2 marks)
14. Which wireless network type uses transmitters to provide wireless service over a larger geographic area such as a city or specific district? (2 marks)
15. What is the name given to a standalone device, like a home router, where the entire Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) configuration resides on the device? (2 marks)
16. What is the name of a spread-spectrum modulation technique primarily used to reduce overall signal interference in telecommunications? (2 marks)
17. Frequency channel is regarded as the band used by one customer, among the given total frequency spectrum. What is the name of the modulation technique that rapidly switches a signal among frequency channels? (2 marks)
18. Which technology allows one to make voice calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a regular (or analog) phone line. (2 marks)
19. Which terminology refers to fiber-optic infrastructure that is not yet put into use by a service provider which requires the customer rather than the service provider to maintain and operate the equipment for use to access the Internet and communications? (2 marks)
20. What is an end-to-end protection scheme used in connection oriented circuits in different network architectures to protect against inevitable failures on service providers’ network that might affect the services offered to end customers? (2 marks)
21. Create a word processor document named Question 21 and use it to save screenshots to demonstrate how you perform task 1 to 5 below:
- Windows/Linux computer.
- Simulator (Packet Tracer/GNS3)
Using the provided simulator, setup a wireless Local Area Network topology as shown below:
Access the Graphical User interface of the Router and perform the following:
1. Change network mode to display legacy. (Capture a screenshot of the configuration). (4 marks)
2. Configure the SSID to display as JumbaNet. (Capture a screenshot of the configuration). (4 marks)
3. Configure the standard channel to be 6 but within 2.4gz (Capture a screenshot of the configuration). (4 marks)
4. Configure the security mode to be WPA2 personal with advanced encryption standard (AES) (Capture a screenshot of the configuration). (4 marks)
5. Configure the passphrase to be Talent2@22 (Capture a screenshot of the configuration). (4 marks)
Upload Question 21 document.
(Total: 20 marks)
22. Create a word processor document named Question 22 and use it to save screenshots demonstrating how you perform task 1 to 5 below:
From the scenario given in question 21 above, perform the following tasks:
Enable guest profile with default SSID on 2.4 GHz. (4 marks)
Prevent listed hosts on a network from accessing the wireless network. (3 marks)
Display mac address filter list. (3 marks)
Enable beamforming to the PC and the Laptop. (6 marks)
Display web and remote access configuration settings. (4 marks)
Upload Question 22 document.
(Total: 20 marks)
23. Create a word processor document named Question 23 and save screenshots demonstrating how you perform task 1
to 5 below:
From the scenario given in Question 21 above, perform the following tasks:
Configure private Network Address of 172.16.0.0/24 dynamically. (6 marks)
Capture screenshots showing configuration settings of the PC and the laptop. (4 marks)
Create a connection between the PC and the router. (2 marks)
Trace the path between the laptop and router. (2 marks)
Create an Internet connection type as point to point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) with username admin and password admin. (6 marks)
Upload Question 23 document.
(Total: 20 marks)