UNIVERSITY EXAMINATIONS: 2019/2020
EXAMINATION FOR THE DEGREE OF MASTER OF SCIENCE IN DATA
MDCN 5102: EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES IN ICT
DATE: MAY, 2020 TIME: 14 DAYS
INSTRUCTIONS: Answer ALL Questions
Take-Home Examination (THE)
QUESTION ONE (50 MARKS)
Background to Assignment
In the recent years, there has been a unprecedented growth in data and computing power which has
in turn fuelled the advancement of data-driven technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI).
As with any other technology there are the good and bad sides of AI. It can be used to foster
economic growth and support better quality of life but at same time there are emerging ethical, legal
and governance challenges to it.
One may ask number of questions regarding Kenya’s preparedness in handling AI. For example, is
there an existing legal framework in Kenya address issues of privacy, data protection and ethics in
Emerging ICTs? Or if lacking, then is there need for new legislation, codes of conduct etc. to deal
with privacy impacts not covered by the existing framework?
You will develop a paper outlining a model AI framework for Kenya. You will undertake an
extensive literature review and benchmarking with other countries that have one. You will be
required to critically analyse the literature gathered from the benchmarking exercise bearing in
mind that models vary from region to region and taking account of the economic variations of
In your model, ensure that you have addressed the following issues;
1. Articulate a new set of ethical principles for AI in Kenya. Keep in mind that there is a variation
of these principles across cultures, jurisdictions and industry sectors.
2. Address issues around data sharing. It could be between the public and private sectors or
between or within organisations.
3. Discuss issues relating to the legal liabilities associated with AI in Kenya. These may include,
intellectual property rights, and societal impacts of AI.
• Ensure that you provide a list of references for all resources used
• Plagiarism will result in cancellation of results and student will be subjected to the universities
• Student may be requested to substantiate aspect of your paper when deemed necessary
• Use the APA style