MONDAY: 1 August 2022. Afternoon paper. Time Allowed: 2 hours.
Answer ALL questions. Each question is allocated two (2) marks.
1. A printer is an external hardware output device that takes the electronic data stored on a computer or other device and generates a hard copy. Which of the following is a feature of impact printer?
A. are more expensive than laser printers
B. use optical technology
C. include ink jet and thermal devices
D. strike a ribbon against the paper to produce character images
2. A computer understands which type of language?
A. C Language
B. Assembly Language
C. Binary Language
3. Which of the following is the brain of a computer containing all the circuitry needed to process input, store data, and output results?
A. Central Processing Unit
C. Arithmetic and Logic unit
D. Control unit
4. Operations of a computer is controlled by which type of software?
B. Application Software
C. System Software
D. Utility Software
5. Which of the following is an input device purposely used to convert maps, pictures, and drawings into digital form for storage in computers?
A. Image Scanner
6. Miss Wayne wants to use personal computers to restore and retrieve their personal information. Which of the following package can be used?
A. Personal assistance package
B. Graphics package
C. Spreadsheet package
D. Animation package
7. A computer is an electronic device that processes data according to a set of instructions. Which of the following is NOT a type of computer on the basis of operation?
8. Which of the following invention gave birth to the much cheaper microcomputers?
9. Which one of the following is a global computer network providing a variety of information and communication using standardized communication protocols?
10. Internet was evolved from the basic ideas of Advanced Research Project Agency Network
11. Which of the following is a service that allows a user to log in into another computer somewhere on the public network.
12. Which of the following is NOT an objective of network security?
C. Access control
13. Which of the following are used for solving complex application?
A. Super Computers
B. Public computers
C. Mobile computers
D. Hybrid computers
14. Which one of the following is responsible for creating a process from a series of coded software instructions to control the operation of a computer?
15. The symbol + in Boolean is determined by which operator
16. 2FA is considered a valid hexadecimal number.
17. Which of the following is NOT a positional number system?
A. Roman Number System
B. Octal Number System
C. Binary Number System
D. Hexadecimal Number System
18. What is the binary equivalent of the decimal number being 10?
19. Part of a computer that allows a user to put information into the computer is called ______________.
A. Output Device
C. Operating System
D. Input Device
20. Which of the following allows a CPU to execute a particular set of machine instructions?
A. Instruction Set
C. Sequence Set
D. User instructions
21. Which of the following is NOT a visible register?
A. General Purpose Register
B. Address Register
C. Status Register
D. Memory Address Register
22. To communicate across a network system, entities within the system need to be able to identify one another.
Which of the following is a part of network identification?
23. An output device is any device that is used to transmit a computer’s data between devices or client. Which of the following is NOT a function of the Output Unit?
A. It produces results that can be easily understood by the user
B. It accepts the results produced by the computer
C. It supplies the data and instructions to the outside world
D. It supplies the data and instructions to the computer for further processing
24. Which one among the following is NOT an example of system software?
A. Language Translator
B. Utility Software
C. Communication Software
D. Word Processors
25. File organisation enhances identification and access to any specific record. Which of the following is NOT an appropriate criterion for file organisation?
A. Larger access time
B. Ease of update
C. Simple maintenance
D. Economy of storage
26. ____________is a unique type of file that contains only the information needed to access files.
A. Logical file
27. Which of the following is NOT a part of the file directory?
28. _____________ is any kind of unwanted, unsolicited digital communication that gets sent out in bulk
C. Sniffer script
29. _____________are attempts by individuals to obtain confidential information from you by falsifying their identity
A. Phishing trips
B. Computer viruses
C. Phishing scams
D. Spyware scams
30. Which one of the following is a characteristics of read-only memory (ROM)?
A. ROM information can be easily updated
B. Data in ROM is nonvolatile, that is, it remains there even without electrical power
C. ROM provides very large amounts of inexpensive data storage
D. ROM chips are easily swapped between different brands of computers
31. One Gigabyte is equivalent to how many bytes?
A. 1000 bytes
B. 10002 bytes
C. 10003 bytes
D. 10004 bytes
32. Which of the following is a function of Basic Input Output System(BIOS)?
A. Initialise the system hardware components
B. Update the system
C. Ensure system performance
D. Save the system from crashing
33. An electronic tool that allows information to be input, processed, and output is called _______________.
A. Operating system
34. ___________is the act of looking through a set of information quickly, without a specific sense of purpose.
35. Which one of the following is a hardware device and NOT part of a computer system?
A. clip art
36. Which one of the following is NOT an Operating System?
D. Mac OS
37. Which of the following is a small, portable flash memory card that plugs into a computer’s USB port and functions as a portable hard drive.
B. FLASH DRIVE
38. _____________is a unit that decodes and translates each instruction and generates the necessary signals for ALU and other units.
B. Control Unit
D. Logical Unit
39. Which of the following reads data by reflecting pulses of laser beams on the surface?
A. Magnetic disk
B. Optical disk
C. Floppy disk
40. Input/output describes any operation, program, or device that transfers data to or from a computer. User programs interact with I/O devices through?
A. Operating System
41. Which system was used extensively by early mini computers?
A. Binary number
B. Decimal number
C. Hexadecimal number
D. Octal number
42. Binary number is defined as a number that is expressed in the binary system or base 2 numeral system. Three bit binary numbers can be represented by?
A. Binary number
B. Decimal number
C. Hexadecimal number
D. Octal number
43. Which type of memory is assembled between main memory and CPU ?
A. Primary Memory
B. Secondary Memory
D. Cache Memory
44. A network consists of two or more computers that are linked in order to share resources. A network of computers and other devices that is confined to a relatively small space is known as?
A. Wide Area Network
B. Local Area Network
C. Global Network
D. Peer-to-Peer Network
45. A memory that can be refreshed many times is known as?
A. Static RAM
B. Dynamic RAM
46. Which of the following is a technology that allows telephone calls to be made over computer networks like the Internet.
47. The fourth-generation computers are based on which of the following?
B. Integrated circuit
C. VLSI microprocessor
D. ULSI microprocessor
48. Which of the following is the BEST way to protect hard drive data?
D. Delete junk
49. Which device is used to connect two systems using different protocols?
50. Which of the following is a network device that performs the functions of a switch as well as that of a router at incredibly fast speeds.
A. Layer 2 Switch
C. Layer 3 Switch