MONDAY: 5 December 2022. Afternoon Paper. Time Allowed: 2 hours.
Answer ALL questions by indicating the letter (A, B, C or D) that represents the correct answer. This paper is made
up of fifty (50) Multiple Choice Questions. Each question is allocated two (2) marks.
1. The component of the central processing unit that fetches data from the main memory and executes the data is referred to as?
A. Input unit
B. Control unit
C. Main memory unit
D. Arithmetic and logic unit
2. The device that converts the AC power to DC power is referred to as?
3. Which of the following logic gates will give a high output when either or all the inputs are high?
4. Which of the following is NOT a safety precaution to be observed when using a computer laptop?
A. Periodically check the laptop battery for its performance
B. Keep the laptop in a well ventilated area
C. Use the laptop in DC with battery removed
D. Keep all liquids away from the laptop
5. Which of the following is NOT a type of electronic waste?
B. Computer monitor
C. Solar panel
D. Window panel
6. All of the following are tools needed for assembling a computer EXCEPT?
B. Cable ties
C. Static kit
D. Heat sink compound
7. Which of the following is a standard interface for IBM computers that was first developed by Western Digital and Compaq in 1986 for compatible hard drives and CD or DVD drives?
A. ATA Ribbon
8. Which is the computer generation whose circuit design is based on the large-scale integration (LSI) and very large- scale integration (VLSI) of IC circuitry and its microprocessor combined all the circuitry of the control unit and
Arithmetic and logic unit (ALU) on a single chip?
A. Second generation
B. First generation
C. Fourth generation
D. Fifth generation
9. Printers that provide relatively poor-quality printouts by their printing head element coming into contact with the stationery against an inked ribbon are referred to as:
A. Non-impact printers
B. Poor quality printers
C. Impact printers
D. Line printers
10. Which of the following is a permanent memory that stores instructions and data required for booting the computer system?
A. Read only memory
C. Random Access Memory
D. Cache Memory
11. Which type of motherboard includes advanced control facilities, where the BIOS program continually checks the CPU temperature and voltages, the cooling fans RPM, among others?
12. The software that provides basic machine instructions to allow the hardware to function and communicate with other software running on a device is known as?
A. Assembly language programs
D. Flowchart instructions
13. The process of joining software and hardware modules into one cohesive infrastructure, enabling all pieces to work as a whole is called?
A. Software architecture
B. Enterprise integration
C. System architecture
D. System integration
14. The process of starting a computer that is off by pressing the on-off switch is known as?
A. White booting
B. Black booting
C. Cold booting
D. Warm booting
15. The moral rules or code of behavior applied to the online environment is referred to as?
A. Normative ethics
B. Cyber ethics
C. Cyber security
D. Summative ethics
16. Which of the following computer memories can be classified as volatile?
A. Hard disk
B. Flash disk
17. Which of the following is NOT a cause of hard disk errors?
A. Power outages
B. Software failures
C. Poor system maintenance
D. Computer virus
18. Which of the following terms BEST describes the systematic approach to problem solving that is often used to find and correct issues with complex machines, electronics and computers?
C. Fault analysis
D. Problem solving
19. A malfunction that occurs when data is being accessed from memory for use by a program is known as?
A. Memory write
B. Memory read
C. Hard disk write
D. Hard disk read
20. Which of the following is the utility that allows computer users to edit, delete, zip, upload, download and copy files?
A. Disk manager
B. File editor
C. File manager
D. Disk editor
21. Which of the following cannot be classified as a monthly disk maintenance activity?
A. Check for and install any operating system updates.
B. Empty the Recycle Bin.
C. Backup any data or important files.
D. Delete all temporary files
22. Which of the following is a Power- on Self-Test (POST) message?
A. Off screen text messages.
B. Audio codes.
C. Octal numeric codes.
D. Data codes
23. Which of the following is the process that communicates with different services, gathers data and proceeds with further steps based on the desired action?
A. Electronic data interchange
B. Data integration
C. Enterprise application integration.
D. Electronic application integration.
24. Which of the following is the correct binary equivalent of the octal code 7623?
25. The process of removing errors in a software code is called?
26. A group of 8 binary digits operated as a unit is referred to as:
A. A byte
B. A block
C. A bit
D. A nibble
27. Which of the following is the extension of a file created using Adobe reader
28. Which of the following is NOT a security goal that organisations must endeavour to achieve in order to retain a competitive advantage?
29 _______________________ devises plans for the restoration of computing and communications services after they have been disrupted by an event such as an earthquake, flood, or terrorist attack.
A. Business continuity planning
B. Disaster recovery planning
C. Data continuity planning
30. Which of the following can be classified as an integration strategy for integrating applications?
A. Vertical integration
B. Flat integration
C. Block integration
D. Fixed integration
31. Which type of maintenance involves changing a system with reference to a change in its functional environment?
32. What type of injury is caused by repeated use of a body part, such as your shoulder, elbow, forearm, wrist or hand?
A. Repetitive eye injury
B. Repetitive stress injury
C. Repetitive body injury
D. Repetitive elbow injury
33. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of failed computer memory?
A. Black screen
B. Random rebooting
C. Distorted graphics on the computer screen
D. Failure of the computer to boot
34. Which of the following is a symptom of failed microprocessor?
A. Loss of stored data
B. Computer freezes
C. Distorted graphics on the computer screen
D. Blank screen
35. Which of the following will indicate an error with an error code on screen?
A. 1 short beep
B. 2 short beeps
C. 3 short beeps
D. 4 short beeps
36. In software development and software engineering, to modify the software, to fix bugs, add features or improve performance is referred to as?
A. Software updating
B. Software upgrading
C. Software maintenance
D. Software modification
37. What is defined as a series of stages that are interrelated and provide several cyclic iterations?
A. Application model
B. Software model
C. System model
D. Maintenance model
38. Which of the following is a symptom of software that is NOT working properly?
A. Software frequently restarting
B. Software producing incorrect answers
C. Software errors
D. Software not loading
39. Over a period of time, data on the disk gets disjoint and this slows down disk performance. Which of the following program in an operating system should be run regularly to avoid this problem?
A. Disk clean up
B. Disk formatter
C. Disk manager
D. Disk defragmenter
40. A _________________________ error code means that the self-test did not complete due to a timeout.
B. Hard drive
D. Expansion card
41. Which of the following is used to establish a barrier between the internal network and incoming traffic from external sources in order to block UDP traffic and malicious traffic like viruses and hackers?
C. Device driver
D. Digital signature
42. Which of the following is a component of the central processing unit (CPU) that transmits the location of stored information?
A. Control bus
B. Data bus
C. Address bus
D. Memory bus
43. Which of the following type of computers was characterised by fast processing speeds and parallel processing?
A. Mainframe computer
C. Mini computer
44. Which of the following software utility scans and removes bothersome and malicious adware, tracking cookies, Trojans, malware, spyware and keyloggers from an infected computer?
D. Spam blocker
45. The following printers use either a toner or ink while printing EXCEPT?
46. Which of the following is computing device feature that allows users to control the amount of electrical power consumed by an underlying device, with minimal impact on performance?
A. Power Management
B. Disk Defragmenter
C. Disk compression
D. Uninterruptible power supply
47. Which of the following BEST describes when antistatic devices should be used?
A. Replacing hardware.
B. Lifting heavy equipment.
C. Updating software.
D. Cooling equipment.
48. Which one of the following markup language was developed to make html more extensible and increase inter operability with other data?
49. In which of the following network cable would RJ-45 connector be found?
50. Which of the following computer ports allows a PC to transmit or receive data one bit at a time?