JOMO KENYATTA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNOLOGY
UNIVERSITY EXAMINATIONS 2016/2017
SPECIAL/SUPPLEMENTARY EXAMINATION FOR THE DEGREE OF BACHELOR OF SCIENCEICH 2202: MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
DATE: SEPTEMBER, 2017 TIME: 2 HOURS
SECTION A: ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS (48 MARKS)
1. Explain the meaning of the following medical word part.
a. Mono- (1 mark)
b. Bi- (1 mark)
c. Tri- (1 mark)
d. Intra- (1 mark)
e. -osis (1 mark)
f. Hyper- (1 mark)
2. Describe the following positional terms.
a. Abduction (2 marks)
b. Adduction (2 marks)
c. Endoderm (2 marks)
3. Draw a sketch of the human body and indicate the following directional terms.
a. Anterior (1 mark)
b. Posterior (1 mark)
c. Superior (1 mark)
d. Inferior (1 mark)
e. Distal (1 mark)
f. Proximal (1 mark)
4. Explain the meaning of the suffix in the following medical terms and state the organ or tissue involved.
a. Myalgia (2 marks)
b. Bronchitis (2 marks)
c. Neuropathy (2 marks)
5. Describe the following surgical procedures.
a. Gastrostomy (2 marks)
b. Tracheostomy (2 marks)
c. Hysterectomy (2 marks)
6. Distinguish the following:-
a. Physiology and anatomy (3 marks)
b. Diagnosis and prognosis (3 marks)
7. Describe why it is necessary to learn medical terminology. (6 marks)
8. Explain the meaning of the following medical words.
a. Gastritis (2 marks)
b. Polyneuritis (2 marks)
c. Hypotension (2 marks)
SECTION B: ANSWER ONLY ONE QUESTION
9. Discuss with examples the building blocks of medical terms. (22 marks)
10. Briefly discuss the following with examples:-
a. Body directions (6 marks)
b. Body cavities (4 marks)
c. Body systems (4 marks)
d. Medical specialities (4 marks)
e. Diagnostic procedures (4 marks)
11. Write short notes you would use for a presentation of the digestive system using at least 22 medical terms for a group of newly admitted university students. (22 marks)