MAASAI MARA UNIVERSITY
REGULAR UNIVERSITY EXAMINATIONS 2013/2014 ACADEMIC YEAR
SECOND YEAR FIRST SEMESTER
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS
DIPLOMA IN HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
COURSE CODE: HRD 005
COURSE TITLE: COMMERCIAL LAW
DATE:15TH APRIL 2014 TIME: 9.00AM – 12.00PM
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
SECTION A is compulsory
Answer any three questions in SECTION B
This paper consists of 2 printed pages. Please turn over.
MTEJA a member of WOOI Workers union has been working for kazi for several years. On 12th June 2010 he got into an argument over performance of Arsenal as they just concluded premier league with his supervisor KONGO. In the heat of the argument he shouted to Wanja “GO TO HELL, YOU FORM ONE DROP OUT who made you a boss over University graduates like us. Mteja who previously had no disciplinary incidents, was summarily dismissed with no other reasons other than those of great misconducts as stated in the letter.
Advice Mteja on his legal position. 10 marks
(b) Discuss the functions of a trade union 8 marks
(c) Discuss the procedures used in redundancy in accordance to the employment law in Kenya. 7 marks
2. By giving relevant examples, discuss the causes of conflicts in an organization and ways of dealing with such conflicts 15 marks
3. Discuss the stages of negotiation in a business organization 15 marks
4. Outline the particulars of a contract of employment in accordance to employment act of 2007 15 marks
5. Discuss the provisions of occupational health and safety act relating to the following.
a) Health 5 marks
b) Safety 5 marks
c) Welfare 5 marks
6. Discuss the gender issues relating to employment. 15 marks