When the requirement is complex and there are many potential solutions, consider refining the requirement and developing the specification in stages. This approach allows requirements to be refined in response to a narrowing range of solutions. Key considerations when refining a requirement in stages
- Ensure that all participants understand that the process is in stages to refine the specification and that their input may be incorporated in the final version.
- Revise the specification after each stage to incorporate additional information or refinements.
- Maintain the functional and performance nature of the specification.
- Ensure that the final version of the specification allows for the development of practical and effective evaluation criteria.
- Ensure that all activities are directed at obtaining goods or services which will meet the needs of the user.