Planning of project procurements is carried out within the procurement process and results in developing a plan. A procurement plan is a convenient tool for organizing and managing activities and tasks related to the procurement management process. A template of the plan is to be designed by the purchasing department in cooperation with the project manager. A project procurement plan should be reviewed and approved by the project manager before any supplier relationships get started.
A project procurement plan template documents:
- Deliverables to be procured by proposed agreements/contracts.
- Effective resource management strategies for negotiating and managing the agreements/contracts.
- The need for staged delivery and desirability of testing the procured items before introducing them into the implementation process (this item is optional).
- The chosen procurement method (payments, expressions of interest, request for price/quote, request for tender).
- Key stages of the process for selecting suppliers and vendors.
- The model of procurement funding.
- The sample of procurement contract/agreement.
- References to quality approvals, quality assurance and risk management.