Policy advocacy is defined as the deliberate process of influencing policy decision makers through targeted actions. Policy advocacy is the essential link that ensures research results enter the policy domain. Policy engagement is concerned with how research can make an impact on and change existing policy. Successful engagement with policy makers relies on understanding the policy environment. This involves understanding the roles and responsibilities of decision making at local, national, regional and international levels; identifying the available mechanisms for creating policy change at the different levels; comprehending the processes by which policy shapers inform and influence policy makers; and becoming familiar with current relevant policy debates and the opportunities for engagement. Working alongside policy shapers and makers during the lifetime of a research project provides the opportunity to establish effective relationships with decision makers and identify key moments for engagement in the policy process.
Role of research in advocacy
- It increases amount of research in advocacy issue and make progress possible as it promote
- It provide basis for all advocacy policies in the society of social justice and human right. it highlights areas where social policies are needed e.g. social
- It helps in solving operational problems in monitoring and evaluating of issues. Operational research. This is the application of mathematical and analytical technique to the solution of the problem.
- It provide the intellectual satisfaction of knowing for the sake of knowledge and practical utility of knowing to carry out activities
- It assist practitioners to develop a body of principles that make it possible to understand and predict issues of human
- It facilitates decision making through research and advocacy. Practitioners are able to choose strategies that are effective and efficient with clients.
- Motivation research enable practitioners to understand the behaviour of human being in society thus helping practitioners to develop appropriate tool that are compatible with people culture, norms and values.
- Research skills are integral or important requirement of advocacy practitioners.
- Provide mechanism for the formulation of good policy i.e. all exclusive i.e. the one that incorporate the view of the affected.
CHALLENGES OF ADOPTING RESEARCH ON ADVOCACY
Policy makers face many challenges in trying to put into practice research in advocacy. This includes;
- Use of improper methodology
Research should be equipped with aspect of methodology in order to handle information collected. A good research using research methodology is out where the sampling frame is represented and all inclusive.
- Duplication of research finding
Researcher undertaken regular tend to overlap one another in their guest for research ( the out come tend to be since due to overlapping therefore hindering their adoption.)
- Insufficient interaction
Insufficient interaction useful finding in academic research end up gathering dust on shelves due to the lack of utilization of the concerned ministry.
- Confidence on information
Most of government and private cooperation don’t have confidence on information supplied by researcher to them.
- lack of equipment
Most researchers face problems of researching due to lack of equipment and support staff. This lead to some researcher not being completed.
- Most government department does not publish their information for public utility. This makes it difficult for interested researcher identifying their gaps.
What motivates people to undertake research?
- Desire to get research degree, diploma, masters, and PhD.
- Desire to face challenges of solving existing problem.
- Desire to get intellectual satisfaction by doing creative work in society.
- Desire for recognition and respect.
- Government directive
- Desire to verify facts.
Interests that motivate people to undertake research are:
- People interest.
- Mode of research findings
- People state.
Rules followed in research findings
Factors affecting the adoption of research findings;
- Purpose of research should be clearly defined and use common concept.
- Research procedures should be sufficiently described.
- The procedural design of the research should be carefully planed to yield good findings.
- The researcher should report complete frankness flows in procedural design and method of analysis used should be sufficient.
- The validity of reliability of the data should be checked carefully.
- Conclusion should be confirmed to those justified by the data and limited to those for which data provided enough basis.
- Greater confidence in research finding is given by the researcher credibility and experience integrity and competition.
Quality of a good researcher
- A good research should be systematic. it should be structured with specific steps to be undertaken in accordance to well defined set of rules .
- Research should be logical. It should be guided with rules of logical reasoning.
- Research should be empirical. Research should be related to one or two aspects of real situation.
- Should be replicable (can be re-produced) research finding should be verified through the conduct o f similar study.
Mode of presenting data
Presentation of data is thus considered a basis component of policy research because of the following:
- Through presentation a researcher can understand the principle that operates behind the finding.
- It leads to establishment of explanatory concept thus can serve as a guide for future research.
- A researcher can appreciate his work through its presentation to other interested partier.
- Prevention of the finding of explanatory research often results in formulation of new hypothesis that set the ground for new study.
Technique in presenting advocacy finding
Steps in presenting data;
- The researcher must give reasonable explanation of the relation which he has find and must interpreter the like or relationship interims of underline process and try to find out the trend of uniform that use the need to the various finding for the research.
- Information collected during the study must be considered because they may prove to be the key factor in understanding the research problem.
- Consult someone with an insight about the study who is honest and frank to give out good opinion.
Precaution in presenting research finding
- One should know that even if data is properly collected and analyzed wrong presentation may lead to inaccurate A lot of patience is needed.
To obtain this researcher must consider the following
- Data due to be adequate and credible for conclusion.
- Data reflect a good representation of the population.
- Proper analysis and interpretation has been done.
- A researcher must remain alert about error that can arise in the process of interpreting the result.
- The tendency to firm that definite relationship exist on the basis of confirmation of particular hypothesis which must be presented in accordance with research finding to confirm the validity of results.
- The researcher must always give in views that the task of presenting and entertaining with analysis and cannot be separated.
- The researcher must remember that in the course of research process there should be a constant interaction between initial hypothesis , empirical observation and theoretical consideration guiding the study.
Impact of research on advocacy
Research has been a great tool / asset in advocacy process.
This can be best explained by the following
- Help came up with policies which are all inclusive i.e policies that put into consideration all the views of the people.
- It provide a good base for addressing societal problems i.e. through research , pertinent issue affecting society are identified and remedial measures given out.
- Policy research provide a holistic approach to advocacy issue s in society create a basis for doing away with bias in government policies.
- Through policy research , continuous assessment and evaluation of policies is done and as a result enable change , re-drafting or over whole of existing policies so as to be online with existing
- Research creates cooperation and collaboration between various agencies e.g. The government and the private sector.
- Explain the meaning of policy research
- Discuss the role of research in advocacy
- Discuss the challenges in adapting research findings by policy markers
- Discuss the impact of research on advocacy