I. (a) Explain six factors that limit the effectiveness of marketing planning in many organizations. (12 marks)
(b) Explain the criteria that should be satisfied when developing a new brand as a product strategy of an organization. (8 marks)
2. (a) One of the methods of forecasting that an organization can use is trend analysis.
Describe the features of this method. (12 marks)
(b) Explain the reasons that may account for the increasing importance of financial controls in the marketing effort of a firm. (8 marks)
(a) Describe six steps that a firm should follow in the product positioning process. (12 marks)
(b) Explain four categories of competitive positions that can be adopted by a firm. (8 marks)
4. (a) Price can be used as a tactical weapon in a firm’s marketing effort. Explain five ways in which it can be used for this purpose. (10 marks)
(b> Wambua, the marketing manager of a newly established firm, would like to generate marketing intelligence for this firm. Outline the sources from which he can derive such intelligence. (10 marks)
5. (a) Describe four patterns of market coverage that a firm can adopt. (8 marks)
(b) There are certain conditions that should be met to enhance the usefulness of budgeting in marketing. Explain these conditions. (12 marks)
6. (a) Describe the stages involved in the control process of marketing operations in a firm. (10 marks)
(b) Explain the components of a well designed strategy for a firm. (10 marks)
7. (a) One of the models that a firm can use for its business growth is the growth-share matrix model. Explain the limitations of this model. (10 marks)
(b) Explain the factors that should be taken into account in developing the mission statement for a fi rm.