English Paper 1 (101/1)
1. Expect an informal letter (5 marks )
– Closing tag
Content (6 marks)
Expect at least three good reasons — give two marks each if each reason is conveyed in a convincing manner – ( ability to explain and persuade should come through ).
– Paragraphing (1 mark)
– Introductory paragraph
Language use (8 marks)
An impression mark should be given based on the candidates overall linguistic ability as follows:
Group D (01 — 02 marks) Candidate does not communicate and their language ability is so minimal that the examiner has to guess what they intended to write.
– Poor use of expressions
– Poor use of punctuation marks
– Hardly any correct sentences
– Spelling errors
(Broken usage must be identified).
Group C (03 — 04 marks)
– Lack of confidence in language use
– Very simple sentences
– All manner of grammatical errors
– Mother tongue interference – Poor organization of ideas
Group B (05 — 06 marks)
– Communicates fluently, with ease of expression
– Well-constructed sentences
– Good use of vocabulary
– Some errors
Group A (07 — 08 marks)
– Ease of expression with no errors of punctuation, spelling and grammar
– Good planning/organization of ideas
– Clever use of vocabulary and maturity in language use
– Definite sparks
2. (a) Skill
3. (a) (i) – Rural setting; Rural imagery;
– Direct address
– Epigrammatic quality/ a moral lesson
2 marks each for any two illustrated points.
(ii) ‘Slowly’, ‘bowed’ and ‘head. (Any two of the three words = 2 marks) They are content words and show the shame/embarrassment that the boy felt.
(iii) – Put on a facial expression indicating pride,
– Employ a boastful, contemptuous tone
– Walk tall and straight/ use wide expansive gestures. (Any two points 1 mark each)
(b). (i) Rising
(iii) Falling (1 mark each =3 marks)
(i) Wail/ wale
(iv) Cue/ kyu
(v) Reign/ rein
(vi) Pare/pear 6 x 1 marks = 6 marks
(d). — Be audible — project voice properly
— Articulate/ pronounce words properly and distinctively
— Vary tone
— Proper pacing — Not to speak too fast or too slowly
— Vary pitch/degree of loudness
— Stress words for emphasis
(Any three points 2 marks each)
(e). (i) Yes, thank you/Yes I’d love to
I’m sorry I can’t, I am going to see a sick friend.
(ii) You are most welcome.
(iii) I beg your pardon/Excuse me (1 mark) Could you repeat that please? ( 1 mark)
(iv) I am Sorry I did not complete my homework. ( 1 mark ) I was not feeling well last night. (1 mark)