KCSE Past Papers 2017 Agriculture Paper 2
2017 Agriculture Paper 2
SECTION A (30 marks)
Answer all the questions in this section in the spaces provided.
1. Name one breed of livestock under each of the following categories:
(a) dairy cattle (1/2 mark)
(b) dual purpose cattle (1/2 mark)
(c) dual purpose sheep (‘/2 mark)
(d) hair goat (1/2 mark)
2. State four egg abnormalities observed during egg candling. (2 marks)
3. Give four reasons for livestock breeding. (2 marks)
4. Give two reasons for hoof trimming. (1 mark )
5. State four signs of Anthrax disease. (2 marks) 6. Name four methods of dehoming. (2 marks)
7. Give four reasons for keeping dairy animals healthy. (2 marks)
8. State four features of a clean milkman. (2 marks)
9. Name four maintenance practices for a wire fence.
10. State four reasons why dorper breed of sheep is good for mutton production.
11. State four control measures for tsetse flies.
12. Explain how each of the following is measured in cattle:
(a) blood temperature
(b) respiratory rate
(c) pulse rate
13. State the gestation period or each of the follwing:
(a) cow (1/2 mark)
(b) sow (1/2 mark)
(c) ewe (‘/2 mark)
(d) rabbit. (1/2 mark)
14. State four features of large white breed of pigs. (2 marks)
15. State four functions of worker bees in a bee colony. (2 marks)
16. state 3 ways of caponisation in poultry(1/2)
SECTION B (20 marks)
Answer all the questions in this section in the spaces provided. 17. The diagrams below represent farm tools and equipment.
(a) Identify the tools labelled E and F.
(b) State one use of each of the tools labelled F and G
(c) State one advantage the tool labelled F has over E
18. The diagram below illustrates an external parasite of livestock.
(a) Identify the parasite. (1 mark)
(b) Apart from eggs and adults, name two other developmental stages of the parasite illustrated above. (1 mark)
(c) Name two livestock diseases transmitted by the illustrated parasite. (1 mark)
(d) Explain two ways in which the environment is altered to control the parasite illustrated above. (2 marks)
19. The diagram below shows a cross-sectiona of a fish pond
Name the part labelled
(b) State one function of the part labelled L
(c) Give one reason why the pond should have a deep end?
(e) Explain how fingerlings are introduced into a pond?
20. The diagram below shows calf presentations during parturation
(a) Name the presentation labelled
M (1 mark)
N (1 mark)
(b) Which one of the two presentations requires the services of a qualified stockman? (1 mark)
(c) State two signs of parturition observed on the vulva. (2 marks)
SECTION C 140 marks
) Answer any two questions from this section in the spaces provided after question 23.
21. (a) Describe ten characteristics of a good layer.(10 marks)
(b) Describe the milking procedure under the following sub-headings:(5 marks)
(i) pre-milking practices
(ii) procedure of proper milking:(5 marks)
22. (a) Describe Brucellosis disease In cattle under the following sub-headings
(I) causal organism ( I mark )
(ii) signs of attack (4 marks)
(iii) control measures. 15 marks)
(b) Explain live factors that affect the digestibility of a feed material (5 mark )
(c) Explain five requirements of an artificial brooder in poultry rearing (5 mark )
23. (a) State five harmful effects of lice in pigs. (5 marks)
(b) Explain five structural requirements for a grain store. (15 marks)
(c) Describe five maintenance practices for the water cooling system of a tractor (15 marks)
(d) Give five differences between diesel and petrol engine, (15 marks)