MONDAY: 1 August 2022. Morning paper. Time Allowed: 2 hours.
This paper is made up of fifty (50) Multiple Choice Questions. Answer ALL questions by indicating the letter (A, B, C or D) that represents the correct answer.
1. Identify the statement that BEST describes a computer hardware.
A. The set of integrated devices which takes input, process it and produce output.
B. The physical components of a computer that we can touch and feel.
C. The set of instructions used to operate computers and execute specific tasks.
D. The term used to denote people who operate a computer.
2. Which of the following is an input device?
3. A software that is made for an individual or business that performs tasks specific to their needs is known as?
A. System software
B. Custom software
C. Application software
D. Off -the- self software
4. is a set of programs that control and manage the operations of computer hardware?
A. Application software
B. Device driver
C. Programming language
D. System Software
5. BIOS is an acronym for __________________________________.
A. Basic Input Output System
B. Basic Interface Output System
C. Basic Input Off system
D. Basic Instruction Output Software
6. In a computer, the component used to carry out logical operations is called .
7. Which of the following is a memory built into a computer which stores data permanently?
8. There are various classification of computers. Identify among the following computers, one which is classified according to size.
A. General purpose
9. The technology that was used in the second-generation computers was called?
A. Vacuum tubes
B. Integrated circuits
D. Large scale integrated circuits
10. The following are peripheral devices.
Identify the trio containing output devices only?
A. I, II, IV
B. I, IV, V
C. II, III, V
D. II, III, VI
11. What is the name given to a computer on a network?
12. Which of the following is NOT a type of a network topology?
13. A is a dynamic network device used to reproduce the signals when they transmit over a greater distance so that the signal’s strength remains equal.
14. Which one of the following is NOT a network operating system?
B. Ms Windows Server
15. Which one of the following is NOT a computer programming language?
16. What is the hexadecimal equivalent of the 10101101101 binary number?
17. Which of the following statement BEST describes the function of a modem in a network?
A. To allow multiple devices to use the same Internet connection
B. To transmit digital data over communication lines
C. To connect multiple computer networking devices together
D. To store and forward frames between different segments
18. Identify the best statement which describes the importance of Uniform Resource Locator (URL) in the internet.
A. It helps people remember websites and serve as representations of a person or company online.
B. It helps create brand awareness and showcasing your brand to prospective customers
C. It is the fundamental network identification for any resource connected to the web
D. It is the gateway to the internet
19. Which if the following is NOT a web browser?
A. Mozilla Firefox
B. Microsoft Outlook
C. Google Chrome
20. Which of the following is NOT a suitable way to keep an organisation’s information communication technology systems safe and secure?
A. Acquiring state of the art equipment
B. Use strong passwords
C. Be wary of suspicious emails
D. Install anti-virus and malware protection
21. Which of the following BEST defines an exploit as used in computer security?
A. It is a malicious act that aims to corrupt or steal data or disrupt an organisation’s systems or the entire organisation
B. It is a measure of the extent to which an entity is threatened by a potential circumstance or event, and typically a function of the likelihood of occurrence.
C. It is a weakness, flaw, or error found within a security system that has the potential to be leveraged by a threat agent in order to compromise a secure network.
D. It is a program designed to find and take advantage of a security flaw or vulnerability in an application or computer system.
22. is a group of interconnected Local Area Networks within a limited geographical area like school campus, university campus, military bases, or organisational campuses and corporate buildings.
A. Metropolitan area network (MAN)
B. Wide area network (WAN)
C. Campus area network (CAN)
D. Private area network (PAN)
23. Which among the following is not necessary when setting up a local area network in a small business?
A. Shared hardware resources
B. Information systems developers
C. Networking operating system
D. A communications medium
24. Which one of the following is NOT a function of a compiler?
A. To convert one form of program to another
B. To preserve the meaning of source code
C. To convert low level language code to machine code
D. To report errors that occur during compilation process
25. Which one of the following BEST describes a hub in a computer network?
A. Determines the best route to transmit data
B. Inspects traffic and accepts or declines transmission
C. Broadcasts data to specific network devices
D. Broadcasts data to all network device
26. Which of the following is NOT a function of an operating system?
A. Control over system performance
B. Job costing
C. Error detection.
D. Coordination between other software and users
27. Which one of the following is a limitation of computer networks in an organization?
A. Sharing information and resource
B. Retrieving information
C. Security issues
D. Speedy interpersonal communication
28. Which one of the following is NOT an element of a computer network?
D. Network Interface card
29. What is the octal equivalent of 874?
30. Which of the following is a disadvantage of off-the-shelf packages?
A. Offers free trial to the user.
B. No need to train them separately
C. It is expensive in the long run
D. Users will be able to look for product reviews online
31. Which of the following is the device used for converting maps, pictures, and drawings into digital form for storage in computers?
A. Image Scanner
32. What are the two Network layer firewall sub-categories?
A. State full firewall and stateless firewall
B. Bit oriented firewall and byte-oriented firewall
C. Frame firewall and packet firewall
D. Network layer firewall and session layer firewall
33. Which of the following BEST describes a router?
A. A device which broadcasts data to all devices connected in a network.
B. A device that is designed to receive, analyse, and forward data packets between computer networks.
C. A device which transfers data from one computer network to another computer network through telephone lines.
D. A device that selects between several analogue or digital input signals and forwards the selected input to a single output line.
34. In what kind of connection do three or more devices share a link connection?
C. Point to point
35. What is the main function of the command interpreter?
A. To provide the interface between the API and application program
B. To handle the files in the operating system
C. To get and execute the next user-specified command
D. To open the URL
36. Select a statement that BEST describes file attributes:
A. It is a setting associated with computer files that grant or deny certain rights to how a user or the operating system can access that file.
B. It is any file which is smaller than its original size and could contain one or more files, or even a directory
C. It refers to the process of protecting a file from unauthorized changes, including cyber-attacks.
D. It is all about safeguarding your business-critical information from prying eyes by implementing stringent access control measures and flawless permission hygiene.
37. Where is the operating system placed in the memory?
A. Either low or high memory (depending on the location of interrupt vector)
B. In the low memory
C. In the high memory
D. In an extended partition
38. When the process is returned for execution after an interrupt service ______ should be loaded again.
i) Register contents
ii) Condition codes
iii) Stack contents
iv) Return addresses
A. i, iv
B. ii, iii and iv
C. iii, iv
D. i, ii
39. CPU has two modes, privileged and non-privileged. What is required in order to change the mode from privileged to non-privileged.
A. A hardware interrupt is needed
B. A software interrupt is needed
C. Either hardware or software interrupt is needed
D. A non-privileged instruction is needed
40. From the scenarios listed below determine the right one to justify interrupt mode of data transfer.
i) Bulk transfer of several kilo-byte
ii) Moderately large data transfer of more than 1kb
iii) Short events like mouse action
iv) Keyboard inputs
A. i and ii
C. i, ii and iv
41. In SCSI (Small Computer Systems Interface) disks used in high end PCs, the controller maintains a list of _____________ on the disk. The disk is initialised during ___________ formatting which sets aside spare sectors not visible to the operating system.
A. destroyed blocks, partitioning
B. bad blocks, low level formatting
C. destroyed blocks, high level formatting
D. bad blocks, partitioning
42. ________________ is a paradigm of distributed computing to provide the customers on-demand, utility-based computing service.
A. Remote Sensing
B. Remote Invocation
C. Cloud Computing
D. Private Computing
43. _____________ enables the migration of the virtual image from one physical machine to another.
D. Virtual transfer
44. ___________ is an emerging branch in computer science, which interprets means and method of making computers think like human beings.
A. Block chain
D. Cloud computing
45. In a timeshare operating system, when the time slice assigned to a process is completed, the process switches from the current state to?
A. Suspended state
B. Terminated state
C. Ready state
D. Blocked state
46. Which networking device is responsible for forwarding packets between networks and processing the routing information included in the packet.
47. Which of the following networks extends a private network across public networks?
A. Local area network
B. Virtual private network
C. Enterprise private network
D. Storage area network
48. Of the statements below, which one gives the BEST definition of a file transfer protocol?
A. Refers to transmission of website data across the internet.
B. Refers to a process that involves the transfer of files between devices over a network.
C. Refers to a set of rules, conventions or data structures that allows communication between devices in a network
D. Refers to formats and rules for exchanging data and messages between computers on a single network or several internet-connected networks.
49. Which of the following statements can be associated with OSI model?
A. A structured way to discuss and easier update system components
B. One layer may duplicate lower layer functionality
C. Functionality at one layer no way requires information from another layer
D. It is an application specific network model
50. Which of the following is a system program that integrates a program’s individually compiled modules into a form that can be executed?
D. Linking Loader