Meaning of Christian Religious Education
The word comes from Greek word “Christos” which means someone who has been chosen to follow Christ. Therefore, a Christian is a follower of Christ.
It is the service and worship of God through approved systems of beliefs, practices and patterns of behavior.
Is the systematic training/instruction of pupils especially/mainly in schools and colleges.
Therefore, Christian Religious Education (CRE) is the;
- Systematic study of religious beliefs and practices based in the life and teaching of Jesus.
- Study of God’s revelations to people through personal experiences, his creation, the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ and the word of God.
Reasons for studying Christian Religious Education
- By studying CRE, a learner gets to know God’s power, character and how God reveals himself to humankind.
- CRE helps learners to know God’s will for humankind and how He expects us to live. This will help learners to develop faith in God.
- Helps learners to acquire spiritual insight which is used in making appropriate decisions on how to handle issues that face them in life e.g. drug abuse, incest, corruption, and homosexuality.
- The subject helps the learner to acquire basic principles/rules that guide a person to develop morally, emotionally, intellectually and physically.
- Helps learners become more aware of their internal / inner state and this creates self awareness, leading to the development of self-respect, self-worth and identity.
- Helps the learner to understand and to respect the differences among people in the society.
- It also helps the learner to tolerate one another and appreciate one another consequently relating well with others and even resolve differences.
- The study of CRE promotes national unity. We get to understand that God created all people regardless of gender, race, and religion.
- On a boarder sense, it promotes international consciousness. This comes as a result of the awareness that all human beings were created by the same God.
- It provides an important background for entry into careers and ambitions e.g. law, clergy, CRE teaching, and administration.
- By studying the subject one knows more about the Bible and the personalities in it.
- Helps to explain certain mysteries in life e.g. origin of mankind, why people die, and the destiny of human beings.
- Helps the learner to appreciate/understand the environment as the creation of God and the need to conserve/ preserve/care for it.
- It equips the learner with appropriate skills, attitudes and knowledge which are important for economic development. Such virtues include handwork, diligence, honesty, tolerance, and respect among others.
- C.R.E. contributes to the national goals of education e.g. patriotism, nationalism.