TUESDAY: 2 August 2022. Morning paper. Time Allowed: 2 hours.
This paper is made up of fifty (50) Multiple Choice Questions. Answer ALL questions by indicating the letter (A, B, C or D) that represents the correct answer. Each question is allocated two (2) marks.
1. Komu installed a new wireless mouse to use in his computer. He realised that the mouse does not work or is not detected after installation. Which one of the following is NOT a suitable solution?
A. Ensure the mouse is within the range of the receiver.
B. Replace the batteries in the wireless mouse.
C. Refer to the documentation that came with the mouse.
D. Clean the mouse using a cloth with cleaning agent.
2. The MOST effective means for a technician to prevent ESD (Electrostatic Static Discharge) damage when installing RAM is_____________________.
A. Touching grounded metal before contacting components
B. Ensuring the AC plug has a ground post
C. Wearing a grounded wristband
D. Wearing rubber-soled shoes
3. The following will BEST conserve resources and prolong equipment life, which one?
A. Firmware updates
B. Power Management
C. Disk Defragmenter
D. Clean with a lint-free clot
4. Which of the following interfaces can support the MOST devices per port?
A. USB 1.1
C. IEEE 1394
5. When should antistatic devices be used?
A. Replacing hardware.
B. Lifting heavy equipment.
C. Updating software.
D. Cooling equipment.
6. The following are units of memory storage capacity. Arrange then in ascending order of size.
A. I, II, III, IV
B. II, I, IV, III
C. II, IV, I, III
D. III, IV, I, II
7. Computer internal memory that is read /write is known as?
B. Flash disk
8. Which one of the following is NOT a function of the device shown in the diagram below?
A. Measuring temperature
B. Measuring voltage
C. Measuring resistance
D. Continuity test
9. A_________________ is a small device that is used to check and diagnose a Power Supply Unit.
B. Power supply tester
C. Anti-static tool
10. Which of the following is NOT a safe method of cleaning a computer monitor?
A. Dampen the microfiber cloth with preferably distilled water
B. Spray cleaning fluid directly onto the screen
C. Gently wipe the screen with the damp cloth
D. Wipe the monitor dry before plugging it back in
11. A personal computer has a dysfunctional USB port. Which one of the following is NOT a suitable solution that can fix this issue?
A. Disable USB selective suspend
B. Restart the PC
C. Closed it up with a tape
D. Uninstall USB port driver
12. Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) can occur due to both software and hardware problems.
Which one of the following is NOT a cause of BSOD?
A. Corrupted drivers
B. Faulty keyboard
C. Faulty hard disk
D. Too much pressure on the RAM
13. Which one of the following is NOT a type of electronic waste?
A. Computer Appliances
B. Monitoring Devices
D. Medical devices
14. An is the individual, group, organisational function or external service that an IT user calls to get support with a problem.
A. information society
B. IT centre
C. health centre
D. help desk
15. Which one of the following is NOT a human health problem most highly associated with the use of computer equipment?
A. Upper limb disorders
B. Loss of memory
C. Eye problems
D. Stress and fatigue.
16. ______________ refers to moving a computer’s processor speed beyond its normal operating range.
17. Which one of the following is NOT an example of cyber bulling?
A. Sending mean texts or IMs to someone
B. Bullying someone in the hallway
C. Being rude or mean to someone in an online game
D. Pretending to be someone else to spread hurtful messages online
18. The tool which should always be used when working on the inside of the computer is known as?
C. Antistatic strap
D. Crimping tool
19. Computer ______________is the practice of keeping computers in a good state of repair.
20. Which of the following printers uses toner to transfer an image onto paper?
21. The process by which multiple individual subsystems or sub-components are combined into one all-encompassing larger system thereby allowing the subsystems to function together is known as?
A. System Integration
B. System development
C. System integrity
D. System compatibility
22. A printer port is a female connector, or port, on the back of a computer that allows it to interact with a printer.
Which of the following is NOT a printer port?
A. Parallel port
B. SCSI port
C. USB port
D. Serial port
23. Which of the following products will remove grease and grime from a variety of surfaces without the need for vigorous scrubbing and without leaving any residue behind?
A. All-purpose cleaner
B. Distilled water
C. Silicone spray
D. Denatured alcohol
24. Which one of the following is the most commonly used pointing device on a laptop?
A. Serial mouse
B. PS/2 mouse
C. USB mouse
25. Which of the following network cable types is MOST often used in environments where physical security of the data is the top priority?
C. Fiber optic
26. Which one of the following troubleshooting tool performs software tests during start-up?
27. The contrast ratio for a LCD monitor is BEST defined as the ratio between:
A. display resolution and brightness
B. power consumption and output intensity
C. power savings of a comparable CRT monitor and the LCD
D. the darkest and lightest displayed output
28. Mutonyi’s desktop computer won’t turn on. Advise him on the first thing that he should do?
A. Disconnect and reconnect the monitor
B. Disconnect and reconnect the CPU
C. Change RAM
D. Make sure both monitor and CPU are connected and receiving power.
29. Software ____________is the process of scanning, identifying, diagnosing and resolving problems, errors and bugs in software.
30. Which one of the following is a hardware tool that can be used to diagnose and solve network issues?
C. Wire Crimper
31. _______________ is a method of converting data from a readable format to an unreadable encoded format.
A. Data encryption
B. Data masking
C. Data integrity
D. Data security
32. Select from the list below one which is NOT a suitable reason for upgrading computer hardware.
A. Enhanced security
B. More prominent productivity
C. Managing electronic waste
D. Improved experience for workers
33. The process of verifying whether someone is who it is declared to be is known as?
34. Which one of the following BEST describes the term data confidentiality?
A. It refers to protection of data from unauthorised access and disclosure.
B. It refers to encryption technology that encrypts data on a hard disk drive.
C. It is the process of protecting corporate data and preventing data loss through unauthorized access.
D. It is about protecting data against improper maintenance, modification, or alteration.
35. The is a 25-pin computer interface commonly used to connect printers to the computer.
A. serial port
B. parallel port
C. USB port
D. VGA port
36. Which one of the following BEST describes the function of a serial port?
A. Allows a personal computer (PC) to transmit or receive data one bit at a time.
B. Allows a personal computer (PC) to transmit or receive data down multiple bundled cables to a peripheral device such as a printer.
C. Provides the exchange of data, and also to power or charge the devices connected.
D. Connects to a network and high-speed Internet.
37. Identify the best reason for updating computer hardware;
A. To enable the corresponding devices to operate proficiently as well as to fix the bugs for better security
B. This is incorporated into the system to communicate with the outside and / or provide new functions.
C. To perform calculations and to carry out other computer operations.
D. To perform arithmetic and logic operations
38. Often times a simple hardware upgrade can remedy a sluggishly performing workstation or desktop. Which of the following is a suitable reason for upgrading a computer’s motherboard?
A. To increase data transfer speed.
B. To increase staff productivity
C. To train staff on the latest technology
D. To minimise power consumption
39. ________________ helps protect important confidential information from being publicly disclosed.
A. Hard drive wiping
B. Social Engineering
D. RAS server
40. A technician just finished installing a new printer on Bauni’s computer. Select the procedure Bauni can use to enable him see the test page option for the pnnter.
A. Right-click on the printer and select Properties
B. Double click on the printer icon
C. Right-click on the printer and select Set as Default
D. Right-click on the printer and select Open
41. The following methods are used by companies to manage e-waste EXCEPT?
A. Repair and Upgrade
B. Recruiting skilled technicians
42. Which of the following statements best describes data masking?
A. protection of data from, and about, individuals and organisations; and how we ensure that data is not made available or disclosed without authorisation.
B. A technique that scrambles data to create a false copy for various non-production purposes.
C. protective digital privacy measures that are applied to prevent unauthorized access to computers, databases and websites.
D. The process or act of confirming that a user who is attempting to log in to a database is authorized to do so.
43. Restricted data is _________________ .
A. Data that is highly confidential in nature, carries significant risk from unauthorized access, or uninterrupted accessibility.
B. Made available to the public by the data steward and may be freely disseminated without potential harm.
C. Personal identifiable information that do not allow anyone to obtain it without permission
D. Information that is not openly shared with the general public but is not specifically required to be protected.
44. What are two proper care rules for the mouse?
A. Handle gently and use on flat surface
B. Clean it in clean water and use it on a mouse pad
C. Handle it gently and wipe dust using soapy water
D. Eat snacks and drink beverages
45. System integration brings different programs together to function smoothly without interfering with each other or demanding identical actions from the users. Select from the list below a disadvantage of system integration.
A. Accessibility, accuracy and coordination
B. Efficiency and productivity
C. Availability of new performance insights
D. Complex upgrading.
46. Gilo is a technician in Diong Academy. He has received several support requests from school caterer’s PC located in the school cafeteria kitchen. The technician has reseated the PCI cards and replaced the hard drive in the PC. He has observed that PCs located in the Principal’s office and Staffroom have not had this issue. Which of the following is MOST likely causing this PC s issue?
A. Faulty RAM
B. 240 volt Kitchen outlets
C. Power Brownouts
D. Excessive Heat
47. Which one of the following is NOT a common health problem which can be associated with using a computer?
A. Injuries to wrists caused by prolonged typing
B. Eye strain caused by screen glare
C. Flat foot pain
D. Back problems associated with poor seating or bad posture
48. What is the FIRST thing to do when identifying and troubleshooting a problem?
A. Question the user and identify any user changes to the computer.
B. Establish a theory of probable cause.
C. Establish a plan of action to resolve the problem and implement the solution.
D. Test the theory to determine cause.
49. ______________________ is an umbrella term that describes the use of technology and science to reduce human impacts on the natural environment.
A. Clean Technology
B. Information Technology Architecture
C. Green Information Technology
D. Geospatial Technology
50. Which one of the following is a proper care rule for the monitor?
A. Clean it with enough water.
B. Don’t spray with chemicals.
C. Avoid connecting direct power.