TUESDAY: 2 August 2022. Morning paper. Time Allowed: 2 hours.
This paper is made up of fifty (50) Multiple Choice Questions. Answer ALL the questions by indicating the letter (A, B, C or D) that represents the correct answer. Do NOT write anything on this paper.
1. ____________________ is a type of memory that can speed up computer processing.
A. Random Access Memory
B. Read Only Memory
C. Cache Memory
D. Programmable Read Only Memory (2 marks)
2. _________________ is the number of bytes in a Kilobyte.
D. 1024 (2 marks)
3. Select the appropriate storage capacity of the following storage media:
Floppy disk, DVD, Blu-ray disk, Compact disk
A. Floppy disk-25GB, DVD-4.7GB, Blu-ray disk-1.44MB, Compact disk-650MB
B. Floppy disk-1.44MB, DVD-4.7GB, Blu-ray disk-25GB, Compact disk-650MB
C. Floppy disk-1.44MB, DVD-650MB,Blu-ray disk-4.7GB, Compact disk-25GB
D. Floppy disk-650MB, DVD-4.7GB, Blu-ray disk -25GB, Compact disk-1.44GB (2 marks)
4. ______________ is a device for converting handwritten impressions into coded characters and positional coordinates for input to a computer.
C. Writing tablet
D. Touch panel (2 marks)
5. Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) devices sense the input based on __________________________.
A. Handwritten document
B. Printed magnetic ink
C. Text present on paper
D. Presence or absence of mark such as a pencil mark (2 marks)
6. Which computer screen is not good for your health (eye strain, headache)?
D. OLED (2 marks)
7. ________________ is another name for main memory.
A. Immediate access storage
B. Auxiliary storage
C. Backing storage
D. Secondary storage (2 marks)
8. Hard disks, optical disks and floppy disks are all types of _____________________.
A. Serial access storage
B. Direct access storage
C. Volatile access storage
D. Non-impact access storage (2 marks)
9. ________________ is the process of reading data from main memory and writing it to a secondary storage.
A. Writing the data
B. Reading the data
C. Saving the data
D. Loading the data (2 marks)
10. Identify the component of CPU responsible for comparing the contents of two pieces of data.
C. Control unit
D. Bus (2 marks)
11. Utility program is an example of___________________________.
B. Operating system
C. Application software
D. System software (2 marks)
12. Which of the following is equal to a Terabyte
A. 512 GB
D. 1024KB (2 marks)
13. ____________________ is used to measure processor speed.
D. Megabyte (2 marks)
14. Consider the following path C:\ICT\Module\Module1.exe. What is the name of the file in this path?
D. C (2 marks)
15. In a presentation of PowerPoint, the special effects used to introduce slides are known as ______________.
A. Custom animation
D. Slide (2 marks)
16. A set of instructions that a computer follows in order to perform a particular task is known as______________.
D. Code (2 marks)
17. Society has come to rely heavily on computers. Which of the following is a disadvantage of computers?
A. Increases user productivity
B. Stores vast amounts of information
C. Helps sort, organise, and search through information
D. Increases waste affecting the environment (2 marks)
18. _________________ are lined across the top of the keyboard and act as shortcuts, performing certain tasks, like saving files, printing data, or refreshing a page.
A. Alphabetic keys
B. Navigation keys
C. Function keys
D. Special keys (2 marks)
19. Which one of the following is NOT a characteristic of second generation computers?
A. Main electronic components were transistors
B. Supported machine and assembly languages
C. Main memory was of magnetic drums
D. Input/output devices included punched cards and magnetic tape. (2 marks)
20. A network technology that connects computers via cables to each other and to the Internet is known as?
D. Wi-Fi (2 marks)
21. A graphics package is used to produce and manipulate artwork. Which one of the following is an example of this package?
A. Corel Draw
B. Page Maker
C. Power Point
D. Ms Word (2 marks)
22. Identify among the following devices one which is NOT a magnetic storage device.
A. Floppy disk
B. Hard disk
C. Zip disk
D. Flash disk (2 marks)
23. Which of the following is a file management utility available in Windows operating system?
A. Windows Explorer
C. Internet Explorer
D. Paint (2 marks)
24. A ____________ is a small piece of information you may be asked to accept when connecting to certain servers via a web browser.
B. Shopping cart
D. Virus (2 marks)
25. Identify the statement below which best describes a remote user in networking.
A. A person situated far from the main centres of population.
B. A user who is operating a hardware device or accessing software from an off-site location.
C. A primitive user who has no knowledge of computers.
D. A user account with limited privileges that will be used for general tasks such as reading email and surfing the Web. (2 marks)
26. One of the typical accounting modules that is available in accounting software packages is accounts receivable.
Which one of the following is NOT handled by this module?
A. Invoicing of customers
B. Processing of customer payments.
C. Tracking money due to vendors, discounts and payment.
D. Aging report which shows money due to the business by the customers (2 marks)
27. A port is a physical docking point on which an external device can be connected to the computer for example VGA Port. Which device is connected through VGA port?
D. Mouse (2 marks)
28. Which one of the following is the keyboard shortcut keys to permanently delete a file from folder?
A. Shift + Delete
B. Ctrl + Delete
C. Alt + Delete
D. Shift + End (2 marks)
29. Which utility tool allows a user to remove files that are no longer needed or that can be safely deleted?
A. Disk cleanup
B. Disk defragmenter
C. Disk management
D. Antivirus (2 marks)
30. Which one of the following statements BEST describes a computer worm?
A. A malicious piece of code intentionally inserted into a software system that will set off a malicious function when specified conditions are met
B. A malicious program that replicates itself, automatically spreading through a network
C. A malicious code or program written to alter the way a computer operates and is designed to spread from one computer to another
D. A malicious code or software that looks legitimate but can take control of your computer (2 marks)
31. Which of the following can be used to improve the security of a system?
A. Audit log
B. Dumpster diving
C. Shoulder surfing
D. Threat monitoring (2 marks)
32. ___________________________ is a type of channel that moves data relatively slowly.
A. Narrowband channel
B. Wideband channel
C. Voiceband channel
D. Broadband channel (2 marks)
33. Passwords enable users to perform which of the following tasks?
A. Get into the system quickly
B. Retain confidentiality of files
C. Simplify file structures
D. Make efficient use of time (2 marks)
34. Which of the following shortcut keys is used to change line height to 1.5 in word processing application?
A. Ctrl + 5
B. Ctrl + 3
C. Ctrl + 2
D. Ctrl + 1 (2 marks)
35. What is the name of a program designed to destroy data on your computer which can travel to “infect” other computers?
D. Disease (2 marks)
36. A proxy server is used for which of the following?
A. To provide security against unauthorised users
B. To process client requests for database access
C. To provide TCP/IP
D. To process client requests for web pages (2 marks)
37. Which of the following is an invalid edition of Microsoft PowerPoint?
A. MS PowerPoint 2001
B. MS PowerPoint 2010
C. MS PowerPoint 2007
D. MS PowerPoint 2003 (2 marks)
38. Which of the following do NOT harm computer resources?
B. Trojan horse
D. Computer worm (2 marks)
39. ___________________ is a network that is part of your intranet but is extended to users outside your organisation and is accessible from the internet.
A. An internet
B. An extranet
C. Virtual private network
D. Wide area network (2 marks)
40. Which type of network needs “terminator” to function correctly?
D. Bus (2 marks)
41. In case you accidentally delete a file you can __________________ it again from the Recycle Bin.
D. Share (2 marks)
42. Which of the following would most likely NOT be a symptom of a virus?
A. The Web browser opens to an unusual home page
B. Odd messages or images are displayed on the screen
C. The CD-ROM stops functioning
D. Existing program files and icons disappear (2 marks)
43. Which one of the following is checked by a computer for user names and passwords for a match before granting access?
C. Backup file
D. Database (2 marks)
44. Which of the following is placed at the end of a document?
A. Foot Note
D. End Note (2 marks)
45. Which of the following is the most used rule for backup?
A. 3-2-1 Rule
B. 4-3-1 Rule
C. 4-2-1 Rule
D. 4-3-2 Rule (2 marks)
46. Which of the following is the process of retaining or keeping of data at a secure place for long-term storage?
A. Archival Storage
B. Disposal of Data
D. Data archiving (2 marks)
47. ______________________ is not useful for the secure disposal of data.
A. Destroy the data
B. Destroy access
C. Destroy the device
D. Keep careful records (2 marks)
48. ______________________ is a property indicating how much data a file contains.
C. File size
D. Extension (2 marks)
49. __________________ is the space left between the margin and the start of a paragraph.
D. Alignment (2 marks)
50. Data is converted into light and transferred at high speeds in______________________________
D. Fibre optic cable (2 marks)