1. Data planning – in this stage an analysis of the current data processing method is conducted and the general business practices in order to justify the need for database management system (DBMS).
2. Requirement Specification – this entails identification and definition the information needs of the users within the organization.
3. Conceptual Data Modelling – this entails identifying the scope of database requirements for the purpose of developing a conceptual design for the database.
4. Logical database design – These deals with designing the contents of the database or the data elements to be found within the database.
5. Physical Database design – this is concern with the deciding of the physical organization of the data within the database.
6. Database implementation – this deal with coding and testing the database. Completing the database design and installing the new system into the organization.
7. Database Maintenance – the last stage in the development process and it deals with analysis the database to ensure that its performance all its functions correctly. Turning the database to improve performance and also fixing errors in the database in case of any.