It is about maintaining essential business deliverables of an organization during a disruption via processes of change. BCP is designed to identify threats to critical activities or success factors of an organization and to ensure that this can be reduced or responded to in such a way as to maintain business
functions and processes via risk events.
BCP is a branch contingency planning, specifically focused on the critical factors threatening continuity of operations and on restoring business forms in the face of potentially disruptive events, problems or failures.
It provides a framework:
- Ensure resilience (Continuing viability of a business)
- To respond to enterprise level risk assessments.
- Prevent loss, damage, failure or disruption in the businesses critical processes and resources.
- Provides a framework to ensure continuity of service to key customers and protect related revenue streams in the face of disruptive events.
BCP includes measures such as:
- Management succession planning.
- Knowledge management.
- Supplier transition planning.
- Technology/Systems changeover planning.
- Disaster recovery planning
A comprehensive BCP will embrace the 7Ps: