MAASAI MARA UNIVERSITY
REGULAR UNIVERSITY EXAMINATIONS
2016/2017 ACADEMIC YEAR
FOURTH YEAR SECOND SEMESTER
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS AND RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
COURSE CODE: AGR 482
COURSE TITLE: SURVEYING, SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION
DATE: 16TH MAY 2017 TIME: 0830-1030HRS
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
Question ONE is compulsory.
Answer any other THREE questions.
This paper consists of 2 printed pages. Please turn over.
1. a) Differentiate between Geodetic and Plane agricultural surveys. (4 Marks)
b) Describe the effect of soils on water quality. (4 Marks)
c) Explain the social economic factors affecting soil erosion. (5 Marks)
d) Highlight the benefits of windbreaks on soil properties. (5 Marks)
e) Explain the effect of soil properties on water erosion. (7 Marks)
2. a) Define soil survey. (3 Marks)
b) Describe types of soil surveys. (12 Marks)
3. Discuss ways you can minimize erosion due to tillage? (15 Marks)
4. Discuss the soil processes affected by erosion. (15 Marks)
5. What options does a farmer intending to use biological measures to control erosion on his farm? (15 Marks)